It would be awesome to see if next-gen games could get to this level of detail during gameplay! Although according to an animator and modeler, ”
4 million polygons is entirely overkill for that model, and for the industry.
That render looks impressive for a few reasons, a few of which are already available in current gen consoles.
- An incredibly high-res normal map.
- Subsurface scattering for the skin shader. (Notice the tip of the nose?)
- Complex specular shader maps based on the normal map.
- An ambient Occlusion pass. (Note creases around eyes, nose.)
- A depth of field pass. (Note the neck in the center image.)
Many, many hours spent sculpting in Zbrush to make that texture. Many more hours tweaking the exact colors and light setup to optimize the render to show off exactly what the author wanted to show.”
Regardless, it’s an amazing piece of work!